Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Monologue 8

As a child I used to feel that I should have been at the place of Joshua…listening to the word of God, leading all the sons of Israel… crossing the Jordan and entering into the new Promised Land, flowing with milk and honey. But I used to shudder when I used to think of war. It used to send shivers to my bones when I used to imagine the destruction of Jericho...the masccare of Ai. It used to distress me to think about the 12000 people who were killed. The people of Jerusalem, the people of Hebron, the people of Jarmuth, the people of Arad……so many of them…… I think as a child this destruction just used to depress me but when I entered in my youth…I think I started thinking about it explicitly that what exactly was lost in this destruction…..after all there was not just 31 kings whom Joshua and Moses defeated….there were many and manifold families who were just slewed….no one was spared … there were 31 WAYS OF LIFE that were exterminated….. It used to exhaust me to imagine the land flowing with blood and cries instead of milk and honey...